by Susan Rutledge
Follow these 10 tips and become a Hero Parent in the eyes of your children!
1) LISTEN to Your Child – listening builds their self-confidence!
- Remove distractions
- Make eye contact
- Ask questions
- Don’t criticize
- Avoid “preaching”
- Never interrupt
2) Give Your Child Your TIME – kids spell “love” T-I-M-E
- Set your priorities – Family 1st!
- Develop a balanced schedule
- Don’t put a child off until tomorrow…tomorrow may never come!
3) BLESS Your Child – Use your words to BUILD and not DESTROY
- Pray for God’s blessings over your children
- Don’t let a day go by without a hug!
4) Always Keep Your PROMISES
- To a child, a broken promise is a lie
- Teach by example – trust is a 2-way street…live an honest life and expect that from your child
5) Be CONSISTENT
- Never lose your temper with your child
- Don’t change the rules when your mood changes
- Be fair
6) Treat Your Child With RESPECT
- Don’t talk down to your child
- Don’t belittle your child
- Talk to and treat your child as if Jesus was standing next to you…because He is!
- Value your child’s feelings!
7) Set BOUNDARIES
- Clearly explain your rules to the children
- Clearly explain consequences
- Say what you’ll do and do what you say
8) Give Your Child Your UNCONDITIONAL LOVE
- Love your children through their successes & despite their failures
- Make sure your child doesn’t feel like your love is based on what they DO
9) Model Your FAITH For Your Child
- Children are looking for the REAL thing
- Don’t give lip service to God
- Help your child learn forgiveness by allowing your child see YOU forgive
- Help your child learn strength by standing strong when something fearful happens
- Let your child see you pray and trust God!
10) Prepare Your Child For FREEDOM
- Give your child “space” to try new things
- Be there to “pick up” your child when he fails, and encourage him to always try again
- True freedom comes through Christ – do all you can to help your child know Jesus Christ as their Savior!